The Production Manager is responsible for the production operation and leading the manufacturing function. Key deliverables include achieving the output targets to meet customer requirements and managing the Production budget. The Production Manager has full accountability for ensuring safety, customer quality, cost and delivery requirements are met. They are responsible for developing an enthusiastic, motivated, and flexible team by building working relationships ensuring that Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are adhered to. They are expected to manage the team using best practice and establish standard policies and procedures whilst also mentoring and leading teams and implement and manage continuous improvement and modern manufacturing principals and recommending improvements to training, working practices and processes.
As a senior manager within Millboard, the Production Manager must be able to demonstrate they can work and communicate effectively to all levels within the organisation, up to and including Directors. Reporting directly to the Operations Director, the Production Manager is required to take a lead role in widely communicating KPI’s and providing line management responsibility for the Production Supervisors, promoting safety, effective teamwork and driving continuous improvement.
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of a best practice manufacturing vision, strategy, processes, and procedures to drive operational performance and continuous improvement.
- Lead the Production team to ensure the daily target productivity level is achieved and any actions required are identified and addressed.
- Safely, effectively, and efficiently manage the production of the required daily/weekly/monthly targets in line with customer specifications, meeting quality and delivery expectations, minimising costs and ensuring the required best working practices are maintained at all times.
- Set department objectives/KPIs and review and assess ongoing performance of direct reports
- Responsible for plant production, meeting customer requirements and maintaining the orderly and productive operation of planned activities.
- Drive 5S standards throughout the factories
- Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems
- Drive process improvements on Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) and other key metrics by appropriate data analysis.
- Attend various meetings and action/communicate instructions.
- Produce written reports and make presentations.
- Conduct risk assessments of processes and tasks in the department.
- Ensure the factories operate in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies, procedures, and legislation to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors.
- Manage and lead the team, ensuring adequate staffing levels, managing holiday allowances, recruitment, training, development, appraisal, attendance, disciplinary issues, and daily supervision to maximise efficient productivity.
- Motivate and coach the team to operational success.
- Consistently promote high standards through personal example and roll out through the team so that each member of the team understands the standards and behaviours expected of them
- Coordinate the PDR process within the Production team
- Lead the training and development strategy for your team to develop a multi - skilled workforce
- Manage employee relations and/or performance management issues
- Report KPI’s to the Operations Director on a daily/weekly basis with updates on objective compliance
- Review, develop and implement all visual management tools to support compliance in all areas
- To recognise and promote the safety culture that no job is worth getting hurt for
- Any other reasonable task your line manager may deem as suitable for the role
The competencies listed below are appropriate to the Production Manager and are an illustration of the experience Millboard requires.
- Extensive experience within a high volume, fast paced manufacturing environment as a Production/Operations Manager with line management responsibility.
- Extensive experience working in a world class/best practice/lean manufacturing company.
- Experience of working within a SME where a hands-on approach and getting things done mentality is essential
- Excellent Health & Safety awareness and, ideally, an IOSH qualification.
- Green Belt Six Sigma certified preferred
- ILM Level 3/5 preferred
- Experience of operating in a polyurethane related environment preferred but not essential
- Experience on working with HR teams to support appropriate employee relations activity
- Ability to lead and make decisions
- Ability to support and develop a team to achieve results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to persuade and influence at all levels
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Ability to adapt and respond to change
- Applicants must have a full UK driving licence