On 7th May 2021, Millboard received its welcome to the UN Global Compact Network UK. This is a significant move for us here at Millboard, and one that powerfully demonstrates the type of company that we want to be.
The United Nations Global Compact describes its mission as: Mobilise a global movement of sustainable companies and stakeholders to create the world we want.
That’s a movement that we want to be part of, because the causes that UNGC views as critical to worldwide sustainability are ones that we wholeheartedly agree with.
Their 10 principles for corporate sustainability are as follows:
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
We’re glad to support this drive for a fair and sustainable business world, and we look forward to learning more from the substantial support that UNGC offers.